A word or two about banjos...

As it's Red Nose Day here's a banjo joke. A band has arrived early for a gig so they lock up the cars and go in search of a drink, but on the way to the pub the banjo player suddenly stops. 'Hell!' he says, 'I left my banjo in the back of the car where anyone can see it. I'll have to go back and cover it up.' The rest of the band sigh, but they walk back to the car with him. When they turn the corner they see that the rear window has been smashed. The banjoist breaks into a run. When the others catch up they find him staring into the car in astonishment. There is now an extra banjo lying on the back seat! 

There are similar jokes about other instruments, especially bagpipes. I like this one. Q: Why do bagpipers walk when they play? A: To get away from the noise. 

But back to banjos. All those jokes are really very unfair. A friend of mine once pointed out to me that a banjo player can always draw a crowd, and most of the banjoists I've met have been friendly, helpful people. As an example I give you Mike Iverson from Utah who has provided, absolutely free, a wonderful online archive of tablature for the clawhammer banjo. (update 2023: Mike is working on updating his instructional material, as you'll see if you visit his website)  

The picture shows a far younger version of myself with an old 'Broadcaster' banjo which was covered in tasteful yellow pearlite. Apparently this is known in the banjo trade as 'Mother of Toilet Seat'. This photo is from the late eighties when The Moles were at their peak. 

Comments

  1. Ha ha!,very funny. I love that period set photo of you. I am proud to say that I am a big fan of Bluegrass!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tin of Words

Norman McCaig

Walter de la Mare 's Collected Stories for Children